Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sick and Tired

Well, I am home sick today for the second day in a row, but can't sleep anymore (hopefully that is a good sign that I am finally on the mend).... so, I thought I would post on my blog....

A few things have been on my mind lately. Thought I would share some of them with you:

1. For those of you who haven't heard, sugar prices are going to be going up quite a bit. Bad weather in India and Brazil (the world's two largest producers) has made it so that the crops are threatened this year. Analysts say to prepare for a 28 year high on prices of sugar. So, watch for a decent sale and STOCK UP soon!

2. I found a WONDERFUL blog the other day and would like to share it with you: www.preparedldsfamily.blogspot.com -- I still haven't gotten through all the good information that she provides, but let me tell you -- the best thing she has on there is a comparison of prices so that when our case lot sales come on line in a couple of weeks, we will be prepared with all of her wonderful preparations so that we will know what is a good deal, a great deal or a so-so-deal. Check it out!

3. While perusing the above blog, I was referred to another one I really enjoyed -- www.theamericanhomemaker.blogspot.com and I enjoyed that one immensely as well. Thought you might enjoy two new places to search for ideas for your food storage, preparedness, and good tasty recipes.

4. All of our bulk orders have arrived and I am ready to have you come to my home to pick them up. Since I am sick today, let's wait until tomorrow, but please call before you come or else I might be gone. My number is 801-368-9865. I would really appreciate your help in picking these items up as quickly as possible -- also, please remember to bring your money if you haven't paid for them yet.

5. Did you see on the news about the typhoon that hit Taiwan (I think) last week and the fires in California? Thousands of people were given literally MINUTES to evacuate from their homes. Are you ready if suddenly it was our turn? Take a moment and review your emergency plan and your 72-hour-kits.... LET'S GET PREPARED! Follow the counsel of the prophets and be prepared!

6. One last item -- Andrea Urban sent this to me last week and it really brought it home how easily things can turn out of control, even in a small crisis. I, for one, don't want to have to "run to the store with the masses" if a calamity strikes -- I want to be so prepared that I can sit at home and not worry.... read this story and you will see ways that you can be better prepared. For one, please keep cash (in small bills and coins) in your house -- don't rely on the ATM to be working or the credit card machines to work .... read on for more info...

One person's experience when the power was down for ‘just a bit’ imagine the problems if it had not come back on for an extended period of time, or not at all.

An event at my grocery store.A severe storm came through my town last night and it knocked out power in my local grocery store for a bit. This was no big deal, as it has happened before. There was, however, a bigger problem we discovered very quickly: The credit and debit no longer worked, and checks couldn't be used. Foodstamps did not work either. Coincidentally, there was a rush of people in the store at this same time, and the lines began to clog very fast. People in line joked about how anyone ever did this 100 years ago, things like that. Everyone figured the glitch would be ironed out momentarily. Since nothing else worked, those people who were stuck were forced to use the store ATM that would charge them to withdraw money. They weren't happy but they got in line and started to get the cash they needed. Until the ATM froze up. Now the fake smiles and annoyed chatter had disappeared and reality struck for a lot of people, they had no way to access their money, they had no way to pay for their food. Those who unloaded their carts were completely stuck and the ones waiting in line didn't want to give up their spot to go to the bank. People became vocal very quickly. "There's no way the whole system can go at once!" "What do I do now?" "I'm not leaving without this food." People started pointing fingers at the cashiers, THEY must have done something. When the manager tried to explain it was not the cashier's doing, the company was to blame for making such a flawed system. Soon enough, with no knowledge of how the system actually worked, people began blaming others for buying too many groceries in the first place. In the span of a few minutes, perfectly calm, content people turned on those around them and eventually each other because food and money weren't immediately available to them. About that time the manager announced that the debit and checking was back up, and the ATM unfroze and people got their money. All of the things mentioned could have been causes for the glitch, but how the customers reacted was stunning to me. I can't say what would have happened if the problem hadn't resolved itself, but I know that in a situation where other variables were involved such as a national crisis or mass panic, there would have been chaos. If people react in such a way when a small wrench is thrown into the works, what reactions would come from a multitude of things going wrong all at once? After what I saw last night, I wouldn't want to be near a public place should the house of cards topple over, and I don't recommend anyone planning a trip to the store that day.

Just a little food for thought as I am sitting at home not feeling well -- just wish I felt well enough to work on some of those areas. Instead, I think I'll go back and take yet another nap. I hope I feel better tomorrow...

And, as for this coming week, SCHOOL IS STARTING!!!!!

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment