Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A new beginning...

Until the last couple of days, I haven't had the time to keep up with this blog, but I am feeling more on top of things now and so I have several things to add tonight... and, if you didn't see yesterday's blog post, make sure to check it out - great deals at the cannery! Don't miss out!

For tonight, I wanted to pass along a few things....

1. Not sure if you have visited alpinefoodstorage.com, but Chirine sells all sorts of different food storage items. I know a few of you have signed up to buy a can of seeds. As soon as I get a bigger order together, I will send it into her and I'd be happy to pick it up for you all. At any rate, check out her website (alpinefoodstorage.com) and let me know if there is anything you would like me to order for you. Or, order it yourself and I'll pick everything up together. They have all sorts of storage items. I think I am going to get some of their canned butter from New Zealand. I have some of the canned cheese from New Zealand -- now I will try the butter. I also have their seeds and they are really good! I store mine in the freezer! She is also putting together a berry order that ends on Friday. This one is like the berry order that we did a few years ago when Betsy Tanner put it together. VERY YUMMY! Either e-mail me or post on here if you order anything.

2. How much do you know about flaxseed? It is very good for your skin because of the Omega 3 that is in it. The nutrition comes as you grind it -- it isn't very nutritious whole (unlike most other foods). To grind it, you must have a small coffee grinder. I picked one up on ksl.com for $5 and love it! You can grind it (or bring it to my house and I will grind it for you) and then put in a small jar or a ziplock bag and store in freezer or refrigerator. You can sprinkle the ground flaxseed in just about anything! No one will be able to tell the difference. Start with 1 Tbsp of ground flaxseed a day -- add it to your smoothies, in your casseroles, cookies, breads. Get that nutrition in your body! Let me know if you want me to grind it for you!

3. Quinoa -- you have heard me talk about this wonderful grain before! Well, have you tried sprouting it? Raw quinoa can be sprouted to activate its natural enzymes and boost its vitamin content. And, it only takes about FOUR HOURS to sprout the quinoa -- wow, that is FAST! Add them to salads and other foods without having to be cooked. Sprouted quinoa is best eaten in 2-3 days. And, one thing that I am looking forward to experimenting with -- it is said that quinoa in your diet helps alleviate migraines! I HAVE TO TRY THAT ONE!

4. Ginger -- Studies found that ginger reduces morning sickness and ginger tea is used many times to help ease an upset stomach or runny nose. It can also help relieve arthritis and migraine headaches! (Another one I need to try!) Researchers speculate that ginger works like aspirin, blocking the production of natural substances that cause inflammation and pain. Since fresh ginger is strong, make the herb into a tea to dilute it. Add 1/2 to 1 tsp freshly grated gingerroot (or 1/4 tsp of the powdered version) to a cup of hot water. Let it steep for 10 minutes, strain the ginger and drink.

5. Just wanted to share with you another one of my favorite blogs: http://orgjunkie.com/family-favorite-recipes Take a gander at her blog. Not only does she have a mountain of recipes to choose from, but look back at some of her older posts as well. I love this blog, as I love to organize!

I am hoping that now that I have a few other things under control, that I can blog more often -- I would really LOVE to be able to answer the types of questions that YOU have! Drop me a line at susan_wheatley@comcast.net or post a comment to this post and I'd be happy to write about your interests in the future. I would love to help, so let me know.

NEXT BLOG: Some great recipes to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment