Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Long Time, No Post - Sales, Cannery and other Miscellany

Hi, everyone!

Sorry it has been so long since I posted anything. I had a conference that my husband and I work and this year it was in Acapulco -- so we worked the conference and enjoyed a little respite from home and responsibilities here.

Then, we got home and both of us got the dreaded STREP! Two weeks later, we felt more like ourselves again. However, we came home to endless computer problems, so I finally ended up having to take my computer in for a total reinstall. Tonight, I am crossing my fingers that we finally have it back up to working standards. So, needless to say, I have been out of commission for quite awhile.

I picked up the grocery store ads today and saw BEAUTIFULNESS! I typically buy my hamburger and my chicken only once or maybe twice a year, but I am getting precariously low on both meats and so ... I was beginning to get worried. Well, our grocery stores didn't let me down -- well, too much. There are sales on BOTH chicken and hamburger.

Macey's has Super Saver Chicken Breasts (Boneless/Skinless) for $1.48/lb. YIPPEE -- STOCK UP TIME! (There you go, Sister Scott!)

As for the hamburger, the best I have seen in a long time (unfortunately) is Buy Low -- with $1.69/lb for 85% lean hamburger in this week's ad. I'll take it -- sure beats $3.00/lb or whatever it goes for now.

Also, wanted to bring your attention to my kids' and husband's favorite -- Sobe and Sobe Life Water on sale this week at Harmon's on 800 North in Orem for only 69 cents/bottle. Not too shabby! They have a limit of 60, so buy to your heart's content!

Also, Fresh Market has Western Family Apple Juice (64 oz.) on sale for 99 cents (limit one case -- boo hoo) and 5 lbs of honey for $9.99.

Just a few teasers to get you out to the stores and stocking up on some good priced sales.

Also, I read in the paper that case lot sales are coming soon -- as a matter of fact, RIDLEY's (the old Albertson's on Center Street in Orem -- where, incidentally, my son works ;) is having their case lot sale RIGHT NOW!

Here are a few of the case lot sale prices for Ridley's:
WF Tuna - 48 cents/can
WF Beans and tomatoes - 53 cents/can
25 lb bag of sugar - $9.98 (limit 2)

Be careful, though -- don't drive all around town just to pick up these deals. What I like to do is pick up my ad on Tuesday when they arrive in our mailboxes (Ridley's I get online) and then make a list of "what I would love to get for food storage", listed by store. Then, during the rest of the week as I am doing my errands, I'll go to the particular store that is along the way where I am running my errands. I almost NEVER go out of my way to go to a sale... that is my rule of thumb!

DRY PACK CANNERY MAINTENANCE UPDATE:
The Lindon dry pack cannery is done with their scheduled maintenance and are now open for business again -- beginning this Thursday, March 4th:
Tuesdays and Thursdays 9 am - 7 pm and Saturdays 9 am - 1 pm

Personally, I still prefer the Springville cannery and, again, if anyone would like to make a trip out there, I would LOVE to go with you -- I don't need anything, but I would be happy to go and help you with your storage. Just drop me a line or call me!

SPICE ORDER (San Francisco Herb Company):
For those of you who would like to order very fresh spices (yummy), I highly recommend the San Francisco Herb Company. This is the company that we placed an order with a couple of years ago and I have absolutely LOVED their fresh spices. At any rate, I am not going to put together an order ourselves, but there is a company in Alpine that I have started to use for a lot of my food storage (called Alpine Food Storage) and they are getting ready to put in an order -- you can go to their website: www.alpinefoodstorage.com and click on their links in the left column. For that particular order, it is listed under "Seasonal Orders" near the bottom -- that order is getting ready to close, so get your order in right away.

While you are at it, you should sign up below that for the "Alpine Food Storage Email List Signup" and you will find out the same information I find out about their ongoing orders. I just placed an order with them this past weekend for Oregon fruit and seafood -- mmmm, can't wait until that gets here!

The owner of Alpine Food Storage is Chirine Wadsworth and she is wonderful to work with. When it comes to picking up your orders, you might want to check with others and see who else might have placed an order so that you can consolidate and only make one trip out to her home business -- it is up by Thanksgiving Point (but the other side of the freeway on the way up to Cedar Hills/Alpine area) and so it is a bit of a drive, but if we consolidate, we can help each other.

BTW, if you do ever go up to her home/business, you will be AMAZED at the vast array of foods that she has on hand -- I love going there and picking up something new each time. Last time I was there a couple of weeks ago (the day after we got back from our trip), I picked up SPINACH LASAGNA! I was so excited! I have always wanted to buy some and now I have my year's supply of it -- and then some!

CERT CLASS:
I have always wanted to take a cert class and now Andrea Urban has one open!
Dates: March 20th (8 a.m. - 9 p.m.) and March 27th (8 a.m. till noon)
I won't be able to take part in this one, but this is an EXCELLENT class to take -- as a neighborhood, we need to have as many of us certified in emergency skills to help save lives in case of an emergency. I hope to take the next go-around -- with my husband and maybe a couple of my children! I feel like this is absolutely CRUCIAL to our preparedness.

If you would like more information on this, please contact Andrea directly at urbanmattandandrea@msn.com

GET-TOGETHERS:
I am ready to have a few of my friends (that's YOU) over for some "girl time" -- we could have cooking classes, preparedness discussions, family history/digital scrapbooking night, garden planning, canning (I want to do meat), or really whatever you like. We could each bring a treat or a main dish or a side dish to share OR we could just get together and discuss or we can have actual classes -- I am open for just about anything! So YOU TELL ME!!!! If you are interested, please email me at susan_wheatley@comcast.net and let me know your preferences. This is NOT church-related -- this is just FRIENDS GETTING TOGETHER AND LEARNING FROM EACH OTHER. I would equally be open for one-on-one cooking classes/discussions, so just tell me what you think.

So, that's it this time -- I have learned a LOT during the last couple of months and am anxious to share it all with you -- mainly I learn by scouring the internet or talking to others and learning from them, so ... don't know if what I have learned and continue to learn will be new to you, but... if it helps, I'll continue sharing.

If you have anything that you want put on this blog, please email me with that information and I would be happy to add it...

Until next time... Susan (SuWheat)

No comments:

Post a Comment