Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Time Travels Too Quickly....

Everyday I plan to post on this blog and before I know it, a month has gone by. Life is traveling too quickly for my taste! I have friends that I want to check up on, projects to work on, and places that I want to go, but the day-to-day "have tos" take up almost all of my time. How do we "make" time for those things that we most want to do? I don't have the answers... I wish I did. I think sometimes the house has to wait to be cleaned (which is really hard for me), so last night my husband and I went on a bike ride. I hate to exercise but I love to bike. My sweet husband is good enough to ride "my speed" and we have some good talks while we are riding. We don't go out as often as I would like, but I truly cherish those times when we get to get away and ride together.

Last night, we started off on our "little" ride and got to a place where the paved road met a dirt road. Now, for those of you who know me, I am not an adventurous person and I am NOT a mountain biker. I like to ride on flat surfaces in safe places. I am the same way with food. I rarely try something new (although that has been changing recently). At any rate, we decided to go on an adventure and try the dirt road. We thought it was probably a short-cut to where we wanted to go and since it was already getting late, that might be the best option for that night.

However, as we quickly found out, it was no short-cut! An hour later, we hit paved roads again. It was an adventure - full of rocks and holes and some very breathtaking scenery. It was just here in Provo (actually, just down the street from our neighborhood), but it was a place that I would venture to say most Provo residents have never been. We passed large fields of vegetables, swamplands, a few people fishing, cows, horses, and LOTS of sagebrush (I know this because I am very allergic to sagebrush and boy were my arms itching). Our reward? A BEAUTIFUL, breathtaking sunset over Utah Lake. Before we arrived at the lake (where the dirt and paved roads met), we saw so many bits of scenery that would have been incredible picture moments -- we just recently bought a digital SLR camera and oh, man -- I was so upset that I hadn't brought it with us. However, with the mosquitos, etc. following quickly on our heels, I doubt that I would have really wanted to take the time to shoot pictures last night. You can bet that we will be taking that ride again -- this time with camera in tow.

What did I learn from this "little" ride that ended up being well over an hour? I learned that sometimes you have to take chances and that sometimes taking those chances are the very same that create the most beauty and joy in your life. So, try a new food -- take a bike ride "off road" and see the beauty that God has created for us -- MAKE time to visit friends that you haven't seen for awhile even if it means that your house will have to wait "one more day" to be cleaned. I sure hope that my company that we are having over this week until next understand when my house isn't spotless (or even close to it) -- I hope they understand that that time with my husband and with God's nature was, for a moment, more important. I hope it always is...

Thanks for indulging me. Now, for the "preparedness" part of this blog....

1. Are you interested in learning how to make artisan type breads (rye, sourdough, english muffins, etc) -- if so, join me for a class with Anitra Kerr on August 15th! Two hour class which includes a full lunch and handouts, etc. costs $35 and is worth every penny. I have already signed myself up and would love to have someone to drive up to Murray with to the class. These are small classes (around 8 people or so) -- if you are interested, call me and I will put you in touch with Anitra. I would be happy to drive! You won't be disappointed! I love her classes and was so excited to see that she was offering a new one!

2. Speaking of Anitra, she is having a big "dairy" sale right now -- powdered milk, eggs, butter, cheese at a discount. Contact me if you are interested! And remember -- simplylivingsmart.com is her website!

3. Watch for sales this week and in the coming several weeks on school supplies -- we were out of town last Sunday when the ads came out, but my guess is that there were a MOUNTAIN of sales on school supplies. Don't forget about our Humanitarian project of school bags. Check with Sister Vena Lee Cannon for a list of needed items. Stretch yourself and donate more than you think you can -- you will be blessed! We will be collecting these supplies until our September Enrichment (September 18th) -- Super Friday event.

4. Local grocery sales -- Just a sampling of the sales (look in your ads that came on Tuesday in the mail for more details):
BUY LOW: T-Bone Steaks (our family's personal favorite) -- $3.98/lb
Wednesday only -- Yellow onions (4 lbs/$1), Celery (4 bunches/$1),
Cantalope (5 lbs/$1, Kiwi (7/$1) and Watermelon (5 lbs/$1)
Friday only -- Super Lean (93%) Ground Beef -- $1.79/lb., Boneless/Skinless
Chicken Breast -- $1.69/lb.
REAMS: Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast - $1.69/lb.
SMITH'S: Philadelphia Cream Cheese (8 oz) - 99 cents (when you buy 10 items from sale)
VO5 shampoo or conditioner -- 79 cents each
Crest Toothpaste -- 10/$10 (6.4 oz size)
Smith's Hamburger/Hot Dog Buns - 10/$10
Kroger Orange Juice (Gallon) - $1.99
Homepride Bread -- $1.69 each
Smith's Cottage Bread - 4/$5
SUNFLOWER MARKET: Blueberries (pint) - 99 cents; Strawberries (1 lb) - 99 cents
MACEY'S: Hamburger or Hot Dog buns (WF) - 89 cents each; WF Relish -- 99 cents;
Gallon of ShurSaving Milk - 3/$5

I hope you are all enjoying the sunshine and good weather. Our lawn is suffering greatly -- wish we could rip out the old sprinkler system -- this one is a piece of junk. We get mushrooms in some parts of the yard and dry grass in the other parts. We have replaced all heads and adjusted all the timers and had sprinkler repair people out here -- it was just installed incorrectly. UGH! I hate a dry yard!

One more thing -- it is that time of the year again -- ZUCCHINI is everywhere over here. If you are interested in any zucchini, let me know -- i also have a few cucumbers! Soon I will have more tomatoes than I will know what to do with. I am looking for the best salsa recipe to can this year -- I have never canned salsa but I planted tons of tomatoes and peppers so that I could do my own this year. If you have a great recipe, I would love to hear it! If anyone would like to help by teaching me how to can salsa this year, I would be forever in your debt! Let me know!

Until next time (which I hope will be soon) -- KEEP SMILING!

SuWheat

No comments:

Post a Comment